CHAMPVA & Medicare Guide
These are the sections of this guide that appear in order on this page.
- Medicare & CHAMPVA – Important Facts To Know
- The Parts Of Medicare
- Medicare Advantage
- Standard Medicare Vs. Medicare Advantage
- Request Info On Available Plans & Benefits
- Featured Heroes Testimonials
- Frequently Asked Questions
After reading, Click Here to download/print the guide.
Starting Medicare With CHAMPVA
As a spouse or dependent of a disabled or deceased military service member, you may be covered by CHAMPVA. Prior to becoming eligible for Medicare, you’ve more than likely been using this as your main coverage. But, when you become eligible for Medicare at age 65, this changes. Medicare will become your primary medical insurance and CHAMPVA will become your secondary. As a CHAMPVA recipient, it’s important to know that when you become eligible, you must enroll in Medicare A & B. Here are some other important things to know.
Important Medicare & CHAMPVA Facts
- You become eligible for Medicare the first day of the month that you turn 65.
- If you are receiving Social Security, you will be automatically enrolled in Medicare. If you’re not, you can apply 3 months prior to the month that you turn 65.
- When you start Medicare it becomes your primary medical insurance and CHAMPVA your secondary.
- CHAMPVA covers deductibles & co-pays with Medicare A & B, so you are 100% covered for Medicare covered services.
- You can receive Medicare coverage directly through the government (Original Medicare) or through private health plans known as Medicare Advantage.
- When you start Medicare, CHAMPVA continues to provide you with prescription coverage. You also have the option of getting prescription coverage under Medicare. It will be helpful to speak with a qualified Medicare Agent for recommendations on what’s best for you.
When you’re eligible, you must sign up for Medicare A & B to maintain your CHAMPVA benefits.
The Parts Of Medicare
Medicare has 5 parts, with the main ones being Parts A & B. Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospitalization, skilled nursing facility, and home health care. Medicare Part B covers doctors, outpatient treatment and testing. At a minimum you’ll want parts A & B and you can select from the 3 other parts based on your wants & needs.
The Other 3 Parts
- Part C – More commonly known as Medicare Advantage, these are Medicare plans offered by private insurers. You have the choice of being covered directly through Medicare or a Private Insurer.
- Part D – Medicare prescription pharmacy benefits. This coverage is provided through various plans and private insurers.
- Supplements – Medicare Supplements are insurance plans that supplement Medicare A & B. They are offered by private insurers and help cover medical costs. CHAMPVA provides the same function, so Medicare Supplements aren’t needed by CHAMPVA recipients.
In many cases CHAMPVA provides prescriptions at an affordable cost, however, in some cases it’s beneficial to have drug coverage under Medicare as well.
How CHAMPVA Recipients Get The Most Medicare Benefits And Lowest Monthly Cost
As a Medicare recipient, you have the choice of getting your benefits directly through the government (Original Medicare) or through Medicare Advantage (Part C). Medicare Advantage are health plans provided by private insurers. Both Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage include Part A coverage for hospitalization and Part B for doctors & outpatient care. Original Medicare is “one size fits all” and the same for everyone in the country. Medicare Advantage, however, gives you various choices that may be a better fit for your unique situation. This includes plans designed for people with CHAMPVA benefits.
The “Advantage” in Medicare Advantage is that they include more benefits than Original Medicare, at the same or lower monthly cost. The additional benefits you can get with Medicare Advantage include;
- Dental, Vision, and Hearing Aid coverage.
- Silver Sneakers – Gives you free access to exercise facilities and online exercise videos.
- Part B Giveback – This is a benefit included with some plans that gives you a monthly dollar amount to help you pay your monthly Medicare cost.
- Prescription – There are Medicare Advantage options that include pharmacy coverage and some that do not. You have choices.
In most areas there are specific plans designed for those with CHAMPVA benefits. Because there are so many plans available, the best options for Veterans, Military, & their Families are often lost in the crowd. Contact us and we’ll make it easier for you by helping you cut through all the clutter.
CHAMPVA can be your secondary insurance to Original Medicare or private Medicare Advantage. You have a choice between the two. Having a Medicare Advantage plan could help you get more benefits for zero extra cost. There are even options that lower your monthly cost.
For questions & details on available programs
Medicare Advantage Vs. Original Medicare Comparison
To get a better idea of how Medicare Advantage and Original Medicare compare, here is a comparison chart of the main features.
|Feature||Original Medicare||Medicare Advantage|
|Total Monthly Cost||$164.90 In 2023||$40 To $164.90 In 2023|
|Includes Hospital & Doctor Coverage||Yes||Yes|
|Doctor Networks||No Networks||Yes: PPO & HMO|
|Rx Included||No||Options With & Without|
|Dental & Vision||No||Yes|
|Hearing Aid||No||Often Included|
|Fitness Club / Gym Membership||No||Yes|
This table provides a sample overview & comparison of Original Medicare & Medicare Advantage. Benefits & costs vary with different plans. Refer to plan specific documents such as the Summary of Benefits. Contact us for details.
Part B Giveback is a rebate that Retired Military, Veterans, and their Families can take advantage of to lower their monthly cost of Medicare.
For questions & details on available programs
Featured Heroes Testimonials & Profiles
About our customers and what they have to say
On a mobile phone, swipe with your finger to the left to move to the next profile.
Top Medicare Plan Providers For Veterans & Families
We offer these providers & more
This is an important step to determining your options and benefits you can take advantage of. Please take a minute to fill out the form below and click submit. Once we receive your submission, we will reach out to you with more details.